Sunday, February 28, 2016

Church Today, Work Yesterday

Sisaundra Lewis was in the house and she wasn't the star.  I think she was doing what she wants to be doing, which is having us focus on the music and not her.  She sounded and looked great.

I want to see her be the star though; at least some of the time.

Today Pastor David said something like "The biggest obstacle keeping you from doing what you are supposed to be doing right now is your past success."  I know that I'm paraphrasing and he was quoting someone else.  But the message was to take your accomplishments, which are right in front of you, and put them off to the side so we can move on.

Yesterday at work the three of us who think alike (two us say that the three of us share a brain, and use that for an excuse when we forget something) decided that none of us think time is the 4th dimension.  We think it's separate from space, which is defined as 3.  One said that he thought time didn't actually exist, but that we can't measure it without motion.  I suppose he views time as a construct, which it certainly is.  But what I call time and what we can measure of time are not exactly the same things.  I think he's wrong, so of course he is and this is my blog anyway.  I think that we can't measure time without perspective.  I'm not sure if we can measure it without motion.  But since we're not still for very long, maybe we'll never know.  As the planet turns and my chest goes up and down we're constantly in motion aren't we.  Time exists, but depending upon where you are it is different.  If you're in heaven you may not have forgotten something that once held you down but it is no longer in your way.  Outside of time there is no pain, suffering, striving, etc.  I know we work in heaven though, so I can't figure that part out.  If we're outside of time, what will we be doing?

I suppose there is value in all human measurements of time.  There are good reasons to be dark about half a day and light half a day.  There are good reasons to be like the Semites and measure time by the months.  There are good reasons to be like the Druids and the Aegyptians and measure time by the year.  There are good reasons to be like a Roman Emperor and declare that time revolves around oneself.  Jesus didn't do that; at least not when He was on Earth.

But there are bad reasons to do all of these things too.  Maybe that's the enemy; trying to figure out which things are good and which things are bad.  Different things are good at different times.

No comments:

Post a Comment