Sunday, February 22, 2015

Dressing Like A Youngster

Generally, I wear solid color shirts.  Once, I was wearing a mainly red plaid shirt and a co-worker said that the style was good for me because it made me look younger.

After that one comment, the next time I bought a shirt, it was another patterned one; a plaid with mainly green and also a good amount of  blue.  It's probably the closest shirt I have to one that might be "in style."  If someone asked me to wear my least old-fashioned shirt, that would probably be it.  There's another "lumberjack" fashion idea making the rounds again and both shirts are somewhat like that in terms of pattern.

That shirt,
Image result for red plaidbrought about two comments recently, unsolicited.


A friend said "I like your shirt."

Some strangers, a group of four twenty-somethings, asked me when I was born.  They were polite, but nosy, and I asked them why they wanted to know.  Three of them were not going to answer, and were not prepared to be honest with a stranger about the truth; that they were discussing the fashion of a stranger, and then admitting it to him, but the fourth said that they were talking about when they get old, younger people will look at them and think that they are dressed in the fashions of a previous decade.

My clothes, the green and blue plaid shirt with khakis, seemed to them so reminiscent of old-fashioned apparel, that they were discussing me and applying their perspective on my clothes to their own futures.

One of them had on a dress.  From the front, you saw only her dress, but the back of it was so low that when she turned around, her entire black lace bra was visible.

Another one of them had dreadlocks down to his waist.  I tried to imagine how long it would take to grow hair that impressively long.

The third one had on a striped polo shirt that would have been perfectly in place at my high school in 1982, and cut off jeans shorts; that I guess have gone in and out of style since about 1972.

The fourth; the talker, had on very colorful "dress" socks, but was wearing them with shorts.  His conservative shorts were pulled down enough below his conservative shirt so that a little of his brightly colored underwear was visible.


Image result for red plaid blue green plaid





No comments:

Post a Comment