Saturday, July 30, 2016

Kids Today

Last year I taught kids and noticed how distractable they are.  They don't have patience and they're bored and they want to be entertained every minute.  This year, I think in the whole summer, there was only one like that.  Well, there were a few who just weren't old enough or savvy enough for the class material, but that's not what I'm talking about.  The contentment of doing something yourself, in your own way; an adaptive creativity that allows someone to draw or paint and try to match the image in their mind to the medium.... this is what I saw this year.

There were little kids truly appreciative of each other and not threatened by the success of others.  I heard them say to each other that their work was adorable and helping each other learn.

I've never gotten to a place where I didn't see hope for the human race but I didn't have much faith in these kids last year, and I see good things this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment