Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Numbers



Excited to get back to note-taking.  Just heard a rabbinic discussion of The Golden Calf and it reminded me of how much I love this Hebrew Bible stuff.  Cecil B. DeMille notwithstanding.  The real thing is so fascinating.

Here we are singing the desert blues with TTB.org and 100 languages.  Wow.

I’m also looking forward to seeing my Mom and going to McDonald’s.  I’ve discovered the side salad- ranging in price from $1.39 to $1.89.  What a great deal.  Since I’m now on the Coca-Cola diet, it fits right in.

I don’t even like the title of Numbers.  But of course there is much more to it than that.  I’m fascinated with how the Bible uses numbers- that isn’t more common in this book, though.  It should probably be called Census.  It’s the numbers of the people that are recorded here.

Of course there are references to Christ throughout- but I don’t think anybody knows that anymore.  Christ is so Hebrew that it is impossible to pretend that he’s not, but everybody tries their best.

Inciting the mob by telling them that they don’t have everything they want is a very old trick.  And of course it’s true.  Nobody has everything they want.  But what each person needs to realize is that life wouldn’t be better if they had everything they ever want because they each want other people’s stuff.  So they fight in the name of liberty and that is called rebellion and all authority is God-given.  So that’s our problem, isn’t it?

“People have more liberty in this country than any place or time in the history of the world.”  And guess what, if you live for more, more, more- it’s never enough.  Freedom is what will bring this nation down- we can’t help ourselves.

Moses, the leader at the time- wanted everybody to be close to God, but of course they weren’t- but if they were he would have been happy to let somebody else lead.  We don’t have anyone in leadership like Moses today.  The people who want to lead are the least capable of handling it- in my humble opinion.  Like Mark Twain I’m so proud of how humble I can be.

Jealousy is the root problem- not liberty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment