Thursday, December 3, 2015

Christmas Radio

For years I've wondered why I want to break into song in a completely inappropriate way in certain places when hearing White Christmas.  And tonight I found the answer.  I heard the version by The Drifters, and it's great.  And what they do in the song- "I, yai, yai, yai'm dreaming... of a white Christ-ma-as" is perfectly appropriate with that genre of 50s style pop rock.  But I could never understand why I wanted to do something like that when hearing Bing Crosby.  Thank you Orlando radio for clearing that up for me.

Today I also heard Steve Lawrence and the woman with the best name in show business- Eydie Gorme. Happy Holidays has to be one of my top favorite Christmas duets; but I don't think they say the word Christmas.  My favorite is Andrea Bocelli and Mary J. Blige singing David Foster's version of What Child is This and also heard today; Faith Hill and Josh Groban's The First Noel- rounds out the top three.  Baby It's Cold Outside is one of the best duets ever- and I love Ann Margret and Al Hirt's version, but I love Johnny Mercer and Margaret Whiting also, and others too.  I can't hear Ann Margret coo without going right there. It's hilarious and hits me every time.  But I guess the other three are more musically artistic.

Steve and Eydie are a match made in heaven, and the other two are matches made only during Christmas. Faith and Josh share the same restrained drama and only veer from the melody just enough.  Mary J. and Andrea take that ancient melody to a whole new and old place at the same time.  I love it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment