Sunday, December 6, 2015

The Rich Young Ruler

I've encountered the story of Luke about the man who asks Jesus what he needs to do- three times in the past week in three different venues.

Upon this reading it struck me that the man was very sad because he was extremely rich.

And I thought about unhappy rich people in this world.  We're all rich, according to biblical standards.  If you have time to read this without worrying about what you're going to eat next or where you're going to sleep tonight, you are what they would have called rich.

Why was it harder for the man to give up everything because he had a lot?  I understand that if he had a lot he would be giving up a lot.  But if he had little and was asked to give that up, wouldn't the result be the same?  He'd be a man with nothing and yet everything.

If I only had a dollar would it be easier for me to give it away than giving away what I actually have?

No comments:

Post a Comment