Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Thoughts on Genesis 2

Listening to the MSG version by Kelly Ryan Dolan at BibleGateway.com today, a few things came to mind.  When I started it, the verse it was on, from last time- said something like "Go back to Bethel.  Wait there and build an altar."  Wasn't that what I was typing last time?

Bethel, or House of God, is now each of us.  If we're the tent or temple or house of God, we'e being called to get back to that, rather than the distractions around us.

I thought today of Adam, having come alive and being placed into the Garden.  I always picture him coming awake inside it, but today I picture a man like an action figure, picked up and placed into this world made just for him, and knowing as it was being made, why it was being made and who it was for.

In Genesis 1 the emphasis is on the hierarchy and man is last.  He is supposed to be responsible, and husband the creation as the reflection of the Creator.  In Genesis 2, the plants and animals are made for man.

And then there is woman.

I do remember being taught somewhere by someone that men have one less rib than women.  I think I had already heard that and then someone used that as an example of why myths were written.  They said that a myth explained things that were unexplainable to poor primitive man who didn't have science.  I guess he may have meant Science.  Anyway, the point was that men do have one less rib and Genesis 2 was written to explain that.  But of course, we don't.  And those people weren't without knowledge.  We're still learning what they handed down to us today.

Chapter 2 ends with man and woman naked and unashamed.  It started with the sabbath.

What would a word search of "rib" uncover?

Today listening to the story of Tamar and Judah and Onan from TTB.org, I started thinking about the things that are recorded in the Bible that are not condoned.  And all those male names and the few female ones.  Is it because the Mom knows its hers and the Dad isn't sure?

Relatedly, I read from my crazy YouTube wanderings, a post that said that DNA from previous men interferes with current pregnancies and that's why virgins are so highly valued.  Hmm... that's a new one for me.  But I do remember being told that cats and dogs can have litters with more than one father and that people can't.  And then recently there were the twins with different fathers.  Is that even true?

Truth... Beauty, that's all we know and need to know, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment