Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Paint Your Wagon Stage Directions - Before I Forget

So it's a great start.

I'm on stage with Christian and Michael and I suppose we represent the three Magi or something- young, old and middle; and then of course there's Bennifer- Simone and Chris.


I have one line in that scene.

The script is kind of slim on lines for many characters.


Then in scene three I pop in and out from behind my store - Salem's General; and join the boys to listen to and then join in Mariah.

Then there's the jury scene which goes into "Whoop-ti-ay" and that reminds me of my exuberant non-dancing aren't I dancing style which seems perfect for this and the last (Bye Bye Birdie) musical that I've done.

But to me; nobody else is doing this so am I cringeworthy or just imagining that I'm different or more likely... the only person in the history of musicals to do things right?

Then me and Mason run on second for "Coach Coming In" choreographed by Katie - scoot over as a bunch to make room for the girls- finally; and then we watch them dance.

Then we watch them dance some more and then- we watch them dance some more.  As Katie said it's weird that the girls aren't in the play much; but they sure do a lot of dancing while they're there.  You wouldn't think of the play being that much for choreography but there it is.

As something not performed much; I consider it a privilege that I get to do Paint Your Wagon.



There's "Can of Beans" that Kirsten pegged as "stupid," especially the part about the baby seal- and then we.... watch the girls dance again.

Then I come up for the scene with Janney gambling with Ben and that goes into just me and Brian and Aaron at the bar- Jennifer joins us; Adam, Cole and Mason run in and out; Cherry comes on and I have a few oneliners.

Then I get to move one of the five huge brown boxes with a door in it offstage and that reminds me of the only one other prop or set responsibility and that's at the end of scene one where I take off the bottle of liquor and the canteen by putting them in the bucket; as Katelyn comes on to take Michael off stage.  Boy it's dark when the lights go off- there, and at the end of Mariah and at the end of some other scene when one of those big wooden facades with a door in it comes creeping out of where I'm headed...

So that's it.


It's been three empty days without a show and we'll see who forgets what when we crank up again Thursday.

It's a privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment