Thursday, June 14, 2018

To the point of distraction

It's odd to be back at the library, and typing a post rather than speaking into the phone.

The keyboard here is the kind I'm used to- not the laptop at work; so I can actually type rather than typing really slowly; careful not to bump two keys at once.  It has such a soft touch, and doesn't make a sound, so I don't know fast enough if I've typed what I've meant and so I type so slowly it's distracting.  Of course, what I'm typing into is an Excel spreadsheet, and it's being used poorly- to substitute for a database.  And then there's the mouse; which is so sensitive, it automatically selects things without my permission.

I've tried to change some of these things, because I think some of them are software; but I swear Microsoft tutorials are so confusing to me.  Who writes them?   YouTube videos are much more practical, but the search feature in YouTube is crap.  Gotta search in Google I guess and then watch the video at YouTube.  Aren't they the same company?  If Bing uses the Google search analytics, why won't YouTube.  YouTube is so targeted.  It shows me the videos it wants me to see; but in Google I can pretty much find what I want- unless it involves capitalization.

So here I am typing, and so I'm using semi-colons and dashes, that I don't use with text-to-speech.

I suppose in the future we might return to Roman letters with few if any capitals, few if any punctuation and, what do you think?  Less vocabulary or more?



At work we're using Microsoft email, Google calendar, Excel online and a clunky database.  And I doubt if the database or the spreadsheet are ever backed up.  Maybe that's good, unless I get blamed for deleting the spreadsheet- but I swear!  I didn't!  I didn't!  Maybe we'll combine some of those locations/services/systems and have less variables.


Maybe we won't.

It's hard when someone makes themselves indispensable. 

The victim consciousness is so thick.  They're not just victims, they're people, and they need to contribute.  We're not just saviors; we're people, and we need to think and work differently than someone with a red sash in a stained glass window.

No comments:

Post a Comment