Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Bart Ehrman and Richard Carrier

Not my business but, these two gentlemen Pick-A-Part the texts, to fit their own agendas. Everybody else does this too, but one, does it say that he can sleep with the whole neighborhood, and the other does it, so that he can be smarter than his former friends.



As I dive back into biblical scholarship, there are two issues on my mind. Firstly, there is the issue that makes no sense when people dismiss the Bible but believe everything that's not in the Bible from the same time, even though all that stuff is filled with miracles. Carrier certainly doesn't do that, but I think almost everybody else does. Not that I would know, that must be an overstatement. What's more common, is to dismiss everything miraculous, and say look this isn't historical. Well, if you take out all the miraculous, to prove that were there were no miracles, what have you accomplished there? I suppose I could remove the main character from any novel and guess what? The novel would be quite different. What people have not come to terms with, is that either the miracles happened, or that the supposed miracle workers wanted it to look like miracles happened. So either Jesus was a miracle worker or he was pretending to be a miracle worker. It's ridiculous, to try to go back to an original source as if an original is important. Well, of course an original is important, but what I mean is, why do I want to know what phrase of the song appeared to the songwriter first? Why do I want to know which note was first sung by which member of a songwriting team? Why does it matter, which of two miracles came to mind first before they were combined into a passage that speaks of both miracles?

No comments:

Post a Comment