Sunday, May 3, 2015

Garbo as Queen Christina

Image result for queen christina of sweden
1288 × 1600 - madmonarchist.blogspot.com 
 
The real story is fascinating, yet I've never heard it.  I've known the film in name only, as a Garbo masterpiece.  I didn't even know if the character was real.
 
I wonder why I haven't seen this film before today, and knew so little about her.
 
Garbo is radiant and the story is well-told.  There are few films from the 1930s that hold up today, and this one rolls along beautifully.  How nice it would be to have outtakes and versions.  I think if I were in charge of a film I would keep all of those shots and consider having other versions made later.  Wouldn't it be great to see new edits of old, wonderful films?
 
If a story is worth telling, why not tell it in ten ways?
 
Snow White, It Happened One Night, Gone With The Wind and The Wizard of Oz are the only films from the 30s that I can think of, to be culturally relevant today.  This one, from 1933, certainly could be.  It's a simple story; just part of the real lady's history, and it's good.
 
Generally, the acting style of a film from this period seems too theatrical, but these were real people.  

No comments:

Post a Comment