Friday, May 8, 2015

Gospel Road (1973)

Johnny Cash was my first celebrity.  I don't remember much, but I used to say what he said; running around being the center of attention at age 4, that I was the man in black.

In 1973, the movie Gospel Road came out, and I would have loved it at the time, but I'm pretty sure my parents didn't take me to see it.  We did see Johnny Cash in the West Palm Beach Auditorium; later known as the Leaky Teepee and The Jehovah Dome.

Today when I watch Gospel Road, I am distracted by the light-haired Jesus.  But he does a good job.  Why can't Jesus be that white?  Today, I notice the different racial features of the actors and some seem more Middle Eastern than others.  Back in 73 I wouldn't have cared about those details.  I didn't care what color people were in 1973.

The movie is like a greeting card with a picture of a couple walking along the sand on a sunset beach.  It doesn't try to be anything it's not.

I wish some pop star today would engage in an enterprise this personal today.

Johnny had a lot to say, and he wanted to tell people about Jesus; so he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment