Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Dream Last Night


I am inside between Glory and Val on my left and Mom on my right.  We're watching something ahead of us, seated.  It occurs to me that I have not paid my Mom back a loan of $500.  Glory points this out without letting my Mom understand what she's referring to and I think that Glory is absolutely right and I'm glad that she brought it up.  My Mom is probably waiting for me to pay, and even if I give it back to her, she'll probably just give me more money or not even take it, but the principle of it; the idea, is probably eating at her so the smartest thing to do is to pay her right away so I make a note to remember to do that. 

We start talking about planting and harvesting.  Glory says that the calendar is four times older than the harvester.  She and Val think that's amusing and chuckle together, but I argue that there is no way that is true and although their tone is light, I don't think any of this is funny, and I'm trying to figure it out from history.  I am thinking of the Mayans and I say "You mean the electric harvester?  One run on gas(oline)?"  They kind of laugh it off but I don't see the logic of that timeline and I'm confused.  Val continues in a conversational tone, not serious like me, and says that she doesn't think whoever planted was thinking about harvest time and I say, "But you have to plant at certain times."  Val disagrees, mildly, wanting to change the subject and keep it light, and scoffs.  I continue speaking seriously and say that you need to plant at certain depths, certain distances from other plants, at certain times and then harvest at certain times because agriculture is a complicated process honed throughout the ages.  She says that our family got out of farming at just the right time, meaning it's a good thing I'm not a farmer as hers was.  I maintain my serious tone, and say that you don't harvest until it's ready, so that means there is a time to plant.....

Then I'm outside, on Grandma's property and I'm mowing.  It's not a lawn as much as a garden of shrubs and plants and grasses so I can really decide which parts to mow.  It's not like I'm leaving uncut places obviously undone but more of using the mower to shape the landscape.  I decide to mow over some little shoots and plants and look across the street to the undeveloped land on the other side of Meadowgreen Trail where we used to play Red Light Green Light.  I notice that it's not all pine trees there as I thought, but mostly pine trees and I think that when it's developed, all the trees will be taken out first before building and I think why not leave some of them and build around them?  Then my attention turns back to the lots I'm mowing and I miss the rubber tree, and think about all the memories of climbing it as a kid, but then I notice that it is there, but smaller, and I think I want to go climb up it exactly where my feet would have been going up the trunk when I was little.  I walk past it back toward the house and pass a little wooden building with a door that has a lock on it and a little piece of wire screening over the lock, presumably so rats can't get it.


Then at some point I dream that I am finished reading "Dear Sugar" and although I loved it, I don't need to keep it, as I'm planning to not keep as many things....



It's amazing how much of my dreams I remember now that I have been deliberately trying to do so.  I have been keeping the laptop ready, next to me while I sleep and take a minute to go through the dream before I open my eyes or sit up.  I remember in tv or movies somewhere I saw people hooked up to a monitor that shows everything they dream. 

1 comment:

  1. Would people want others to be able to see their dreams? I don't think so. I love the idea of being able to remember them, but I don't want to share them except as an option. I remember being really impressed with The Cell; with Jennifer Lopez and Vince Vaughn. I like her as an actress very much and I'd like to see Mr. Vaughn do some more serious roles also. What an idea, to enter into another's dreams!

    Maybe you're the only person who's ever lived and what you think of as your world is a complex dream.

    ReplyDelete