Tuesday, August 11, 2015

I like Chipotle and Church

I Like Chipotle and Church

Yesterday I got half Barbacoa and half Chicken, all the sauces, corn and extra sour cream and cheese and lettuce.  It was delicious.  Chipotle is my new favorite, if we think of "new" as about two years.  But let's face it, I'm a kid in that I have lots of "favorites."

I remember once I was at my Grandma's house and I had just gotten back from seeing my other Grandma, who I didn't see very much.  So I was in a very familiar place, that we all called "Grandma's" as if Grandpa wasn't right there... and I was talking about where I had just been.  I understand this now.  And I can see my little chatty self, running at the mouth.  My Mom was there and my Grandma that I saw all the time.  And I was talking about my other Grandma.  I said she was my favorite.  When I said the word favorite, I wasn't meaning what I said.  I was saying that I liked her, very much.  I wasn't comparing anybody to anybody.  My Mom didn't like what I said and my Grandma didn't like what I said, and I couldn't figure out why.  I can see the look of confusion all around, and feel the lull in the chatter.  My Grandma shook her head resignedly and said "Well..." as if that was the truth so we all might as well accept it.

Chipotle is almost as good as Disney for people-watching.  But I won't say which one is best.  And they have the best Coke too, or at least a very good Coke.  I don't understand this, but Coke tastes differently in many different ways even considering just Coke from different soda fountains.  Mr. Quick used to have the best, but they changed the type of ice.  It's still good, but it used to be the time-erasing elixir that brought back Summers of childhood, with sunny days, pony rides, cotton candy and jumping off a swing to land at just the right time, in just the right place, right on your feet while sticking the landing.  McD's and Burger King's was a favorite also- and they tasted the same at both places- smooth and round.  There is even a distinctive flavor to Athena's Coke in Maitland which is reminiscent of honey.  Now this has got to be my imagination, but no less real to my Coke-loving brain than reality- but the baklava behind the glass case influences even the soda fountain.  The Coke there is cured by Mediterranean sunlight and stored in cypress barrels under blue-domed arched white buildings in the sea air.

In line at Chipotle, and at Church, that is FBO, there are represented every nation, tribe and tongue, and it's a prelude of what we'll see in heaven.  I think we'll have more choices in that place than we do in these earthly representations, but we'll see when we get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment