Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Best Book Ever - William Maxwell's So Long, See You Tomorrow

I was working at Barnes and Noble, which was a job I loved because it had some variety.  I remember that I didn't like much of what I did, but each task was rotated so that I never did the same thing for more than two hours.

Sometimes I wrapped presents- I wasn't good at that.  Sometimes I manned the cash register- I was always somehow able to earn the company an extra penny without any desire to do so.  Sometimes I shelved books and sometimes I cleaned the bathroom.  And sometimes I helped people that wanted to find a book; like the people who looked in an art history book to find confirmation that the painting they just bought at a yard sale had to be a recognized masterpiece so important that it would be in an art history book.

"Is this all the art you got?  We're looking for one that has boats in it."



I have to say doing anything for an hour is better than doing the same thing for eight hours.  But the pay isn't as good.

Coming out of college, which provided a plethora of choices for me- I would just grab the class calendar and then narrow down the 15 classes I wanted to take each semester into something affordable and manageable- and I was working three part time jobs- was a great environment for me.  I was doing lots of stuff, all the time, and it was all different.  When I finally stopped being a music major, I was playing my violin more than ever, just not for a grade anymore and life was great.

Then I packed up everything and moved and needed a job and worked for Barnes and Noble.

In the break room was an advanced copy of a little paperback which I've read about twenty times.

I recommend William Maxwell's So Long, See You Tomorrow to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment