Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Perspective Examples- Film or Text

I'm using the Times font here, which I assume is named after the Times New Roman Font, which is named after The Times newspaper it was developed for.  I suppose somebody (Google) doesn't want to use the real font for monetary reasons?  I don't know how that works today with everybody so easily able to copy and paste nearly anything anywhere with impunity.



Lately I've been thinking about perspective: things like the glass half empty or half full.  I hate the phrase that perception is reality; mainly because I like words and I can clearly see that one of those words is not the same as the other.  One word starts with a p and is pretty much twice as long as the other one and no, they do not mean the same thing and there is a really big difference between the two...  But I do wonder about the issue of perception and know that a great deal depends upon how one looks at something, or where one views something from; which would be perspective.  If I look at a buffet from outside the restaurant I can't enter it looks quite different than when I'm in front of it with a plate.

I'm thinking of a way to express the thought of "it depends on how you look at it" with film or text.  Every time I go to a friend's house the conversation turns to how old or how wrinkled everybody on tv looks.  And that certainly is one perspective to judge people from; but I hardly ever do that when I'm not with that one friend.

"Oh she's gained a lot of weight, but so and so looks good.  I wonder if she's had any plastic surgery."  I usually think to myself, as I join in the conversation, that it's so superficial.  Why aren't we discussing ideas instead of people?

I envision a film clip that builds upon this idea, in which the characters are defined in one way, and then the same clip is shown again but they are defined in another.  It reminds me of when a cartoon character is hungry and sees the other characters, not as their comrade, but as food.








A little scenario unfolds with various characters and one time they would be shown as if the viewer would classify them according to weight and another time as if someone would classify them according to net worth and some would classify them according to how interesting they were, etc.

It would probably be very easy to express the same idea with a text that didn't change that includes a bare story line with plenty of room for additions or addendum and then with a drop-down menu, one can fill in gaps between words with choices such as race, occupation, weight, net worth, etc.  I'm picturing Mad Libs but online with one choice that fills in all the blanks depending on how you want to look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment