Monday, January 25, 2016

Thoughts On the Title Page of A Study Of History

A Study Of History by Arnold J. Toynbee, abridgement of Volumes I-VI by D. C. Somervell is a major trip.

As mentioned in a previous post, it was "issued under the auspices of the Royal Institute of International Affairs."  These people are so country-centric that they don't even say the city of their origin; much less which version of Royalty started them.  I assume they're in London along with the division of time.

That would make sense.


The actual capitalization of A Study of History is intriguing to me as capitalization always is, if I happen to notice it.

A STUDY OF
HISTORY

it says.

The author's name is in call caps too, but so is the word 'by.'

There are no small caps (like LORD in most Bibles).

The phrase in Latin is particularly eye-catching because of its use of spacing and abbreviation.  Because Google Blogger doesn't believe in the Tab key, or maybe because I haven't found out a better way to do this, I'm going to have to approximate the spacings.

                                                                                           Doloris
                                                    Sopitam recreant volnera viva animam.  
                                                                                                     Anon. 

Taking into account the way the spacing is translated by HTML into the blogger interface after I click the 'Publish' button, the spacing will probably be completely different.  But it seems arbitrary to me on the title page from 1947 that I'm typing it from.

So go figure.

I don't think any title page, created by OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS
                                                                   New York & London

in 1947 has anything on it at all that is arbitrary.  I firmly believe that I just don't understand their rules.

Not only do I hate italics.  But Google Blogger turns them back on after I press the 'Return' key.  Excuse me, it's the 'Enter' key and
it just did it right now.

Why in the world would I want italics to come back in to play after I've toggled it off?  The mind boggles.

There it did it again.

I have toggled the italic button off several times, but only toggled it on once.  Once, I tell you!  Once!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment