Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Yeah, I already do that...

I'm not sure which company makes the commercials I've seen on television for systems that pay attention to the cars in front ... and then automatically beep, or brake a little when the traffic ahead is getting congested... 

...but I've always thought that paying attention to the cars in front of me while driving is a very good idea.

My aunt once mentioned that the distance between a driver and the car in front of them is the main thing that driving consists of.  I agree.

You can zone out and still end up where you wanted to be.  You can zone out and nearly always stay in your lane.  You can zone out and still drive rather well.  In fact, that's the problem with driving... You don't really have to pay attention all that much.  But if you are close to the car in front of you, well, you are no longer in control of your vehicle.  Your fate is held by the feet of the driver in front of you, and your fate is no longer in the care of your own.


I found some terms online for this such as "braking guard" radar-assisted forward collision warnings and Front Assist.  

I wonder how much these systems cost, but I won't invest in them.  You see, I already look ahead of me to see what's there on the road in front of me, and if cars are getting very close to one another ahead of me, in my lane, I slow down.  

I'm not driving in order to see how close I can get to anybody.  I have enough friends.  And I don't want a stranger's phone number or insurance information and I certainly don't want to have to stop and talk to them or mop up any blood.  So if the car in front of me slams on the brakes and comes to a screeching halt, I want enough time to stop myself, without hitting them, even if I am zoned out.

Time = Distance

If you have to pay for that or not; it's definitely worth the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment