Monday, September 14, 2015

Easy Virtue - Far From The Madding Crowd

I enjoyed the movie version of Thomas Hardy's Far From The Madding Crowd (2015) based on the book from 1874.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that the value of a woman's virtue was depicted in a way that I believe was appropriate in that society.

The men all wanted to get in her pants, and she was delightfully repelled and attracted to them in various ways, and it reinforced what I believe; that people are always the same in every age- but society surely isn't.




I expected upon meeting Bathsheba Everdene, that she would not remain dene for ever, or even for the rest of the move.  But she did, in her way.  She didn't like convention.  But the assumption of everyone seemed to be that she wasn't going to crawl into bed with anybody unless she was married.  And that wasn't the assumption about the other woman.

I guess the distinction was between women and ladies.



No comments:

Post a Comment