Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Edith Wharton's The Children

I'm reading again one of my favorite books that is by one of my favorite authors.  The Children by Edith Wharton was written in 1928 and apparently it was an instant hit.

I see from IMDB.com that there's a filmed version with Kim Novak and Ben Kingsley.  The combination of stars is intriguing by itself.

Characteristically for me, and completely un-understandably, I can't remember how it ends.  So I'm reading a book that I really like, and enjoying the turn of phrase and the setting and the idea of how the jet-set life affected the youngest of their crowd- and yet I don't remember the plot.

I'd love to cast the film; particularly the discussion after lunch in the Moroccan tent, attended by all the parents but the lion tamer.

Most books should have at least one member of a circus in attendance; but no clowns please.




1 comment:

  1. I finished Edith Wharton's The Children, again, and I suppose the ending is probably one of the only choices she could have made that I wouldn't necessarily have remembered. How do you know when to end a book? Anne Rice asked that question recently on her Facebook page.

    I'm still working out how to write a book.

    ReplyDelete