Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The Bible Translation According to J. Vernon McGee

In my listening today, I heard Mister J. Vernon McGee from Through the Bible at TTB.org say that there should not be a translation of the Bible released until it's been worked on by committee for twenty five years.

I wonder how long and by whom any translations he was involved with are extant?  Maybe it's time for someone to do that.  Or continue that.

I don't think it's going to be me.  My one semester of Hebrew was not sufficient for me to even learn the alphabet.  Ashamed to say it,,,, but let''s just say there were extenuating circumstances.  It really shouldn't take more than what?  A week to really really learn an alphabet- once someone knows a related one.

Once someone told me that English was Semitic.  I'm not sure in what way they said it, but I know they didn't say it that way.  What they meant though had real merit.  They meant that our alphabet is Semitic.  Of course that is true but just like our culture, it's been grafted onto something and then Greekified.  How is it that our alphabet is so like Hebrew but our words are so unlike it?

No comments:

Post a Comment