Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Physiology, Perception and Eyeglasses

Yesterday, the eye doctor came to the Assisted Living to give eye exams.  Most of the people had insurance but if they didn't there was a $75 fee.

And guess what two people wanted eye exams?


Dr. Rogers talked about the physiological response in the eye that tells him which strength of lens is needed.  I always thought this was subjective.  The few times I've had my eyes checked, I've not been sure which lens is better.  Often they seem the same.

This doctor talked about the difference between better vision and bolder vision, and explained my type of eyesight issue and explained that with training it might get better.  He said if I was unbelievably wealthy it might be worth to try it but it wasn't practical.


I was watching all the people in the Assisted Living with brains calcified and neuron pathways so strong that they can't learn much and thought about the value of physiological development.  The eyes are so close to the brain; wouldn't training them be of help in warding off mental decay?

I know learning a language is good for that.  And actually doing anything is good for getting anything done.  It's learning that is growing, expanding, enjoying and living.  And learning is always based on what one already knows (familiarity, confidence) and adding to it.  The people asleep are just re-confirming what they already know.

No comments:

Post a Comment