Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Where Can I Find This Book?

One of the jokes we shared at the lieberry where I worked, a year ago, was people wanting a particular book but not knowing how to find it.

People often look confused when asked whether a book is fiction or non.  As far as I know, there was one book that walked the line; and that was on purpose- The Celestine Prophecy.  So it isn't a very difficult question and even if someone doesn't know those terms, it's still mostly easy to figure out which half of the lieberry a book would be in.

I don't understand why people buy books at a bookstore but don't check them out here; it's free.  And if you don't like it, you don't have to read it- just bring it back.  And for all the people who have a problem throwing things away- recyclers and hoarders- you don't have to own it.  For me it's great.  It's like the best place.

Last week a patron was really mad because the girl at the counter wouldn't jump up to help her find a particular book; "You know, it's an author, and she writes stories."  Instead, the girl asked for the name of the book or the author.  The old lady didn't like that response.  She said, loudly "Last time the girl helped me find a book" and she left.

In Orlando we would joke, coming up to the counter to a co-worker and saying "I know this book has a red cover.  Can you help me find it?"  And here in Lantana I see a display of all blue books- no subject- just books with blue covers.

I wonder if that helps anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment