Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Me and King Herod

I'm drained.

We haven't had many rehearsals, but that and the new job got me tired.


They are both things I want to do; and I am still so surprised and happy to have been called in to play King Herod.  What a great song that is; and there are so many ways to do it.

I found one version on YouTube; out of about 20 that I watched, that really impressed me a couple weeks ago.  Today, it did nothing for me.

I have explored snake-like movements of the head and neck; not moving the eyes but circular motions of the neck- slow-  and the fox-like nature of Herod- always thinking and hiding something- but that involves eye movements- and then there are some other choices for motion- a bobble-head movement- and crazy eyes or very active eyes to show that there's a jumbled mess inside of the guy.


One problem I have right now is not remembering instructions.  I wish I had them in writing.  It's a process; and it's a two-minute stagetime.  So it is not like energy has to be sustained very long.

Actually, objectively- and not as a role I have to play- it's really a crowd-pleaser no matter what.  There are so many directions to take the song that as long as one is chosen; everybody's going to like it.


But I have a real trouble with being good.  I want to be great.  But of course that's a pride thing- and not in a good way.  I hear bad music all the time- by musicians and others- and it doesn't really seem like the world is a worse place because of it.  Nobody likes all songs.  Nobody likes all singers.  It's just that I value my opinion and I want more music to be "better" and I honestly believe that my likes and dislikes can help.

So here I am; with a whole new company of people that I've met- a whole new stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment