Saturday, December 14, 2019

Christmas Music

More Frank Sinatra than I remember from other years- but not repeats, unlike Let it Snow Dean Martin.  I sure do like Frank more than I used to.


Some more Amy Grant; I think I heard her guesting on Silver Bells which means there is no Christmas song she hasn't done now.  Except hippopotamouses and crocodiliousses.


I am not feeling Carol of the Bells this year.  I loved it, particularly in high school, singing it.  Like gospel, it didn't seem as repetitive when performing it.  And I certainly have enjoyed listening to it many years in the past.

Last year I was really liking those Mannheim Steamroller and Trans-Siberian Orchestra pops things.  Not hearing as many this year, and not missing them.  But I loved the one concert I played some.  I think it was Silent Night that was my favorite?  Not sure, been a while, but one carol was so simple with just some rhythmic change, and of course drums, that it was genius.



The meme on Facebook that comes to mind is ... maybe the Grinch wouldn't be so crappy if somebody wasn't singing about how awful he is every 15 seconds.  And they are playing that a lot- several versions.  I heard Burl Ive's Rudolph a few times- not just Holly Jolly.  It would be nice to hear some Diana Ross Christmas- not sure if any songs were released as singles- I guess not, I guess that's the answer.  And I remembering that Sandi Patti duet with Amy Grant- Angels From the Realms of Glory.  Is it really as great as I remember?  I can't find it.  That was a great album.  I put it in the category with Avalon's Christmas album.  Margaret Becker's O Come O Come Emmanuel was awesome too.  They are Christmas recordings that are not timeless but so good!  I love Christmas music because it encompasses the 50s pop rock, and the 80s pop rock, and the singer songwriter guitar, and the orchestras and the loungey jazzy stuff- and of course the country.  I think, only Gene Autry remains of the Country Christmas standards- surely there were more... Brenda Lee and Bobby Helms have scooted over in my mind away from Country.  I haven't even heard Tennessee Christmas this year.  Cracker Barrel of course has played lots of these Countrifieds, but why none on the mainstream Christmas radio stations taken over this time of year?  I was glad to hear Santa Claus Got Stuck in My Chimbley and Santa's Got a Brand New Bag in unfamiliar versions among the standard stuff.   As far as Christian radio- nice try, I like it, but disappointed in that they play a few too many unfamiliar Christmas tunes- ones with current doctrinal emphasis, and a few too many Santa songs.  Why not stick to a little less of both?  Also, hoping 100.3 will go more holiday soon, and not just for one or two days.


Lori Morgan's and Mary J. Blige and Susan Boyle- why can't I hear them?  I heard Faith Hill.  Where's Winona's White Christmas this year?  And if I remember right, Michael McDonald has a few great cuts- but maybe it's just a great vibe on the whole album.  So many people have Christmas songs now.  Trot out Leslie Uggams, why don't ya?  Crystal Gayle.  I have heard two Jackson 5s.  Did Michael do any by himself?  I think not.

Been thinking about Rudolph's "There's Always Tomorrow."  It needs a good reworking.  But actually the original is perfect.  


Janis Orenstein – voice of Clarice ("There's Always Tomorrow")

Wow.  Gotta Google her.  Upon this listening, I notice how she sounds a little younger than I remember, but so accomplished, still.

Wikipedia tells me that "We're a Couple of Misfits" was removed for awhile.   Well, that's a song that needs to be heard.  Who made that decision?

 IMDB quotes her: 
If I ask myself 'Did I become the human being I wanted to be?' the answer is 'Yes. Yes I did.' So there's nothing I have left unfinished.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment