Saturday, December 14, 2019

December 14, 2019

So, I am learning "Us Two" by Jeff Locker.  And I am playing George.

George is probably what most people see when they see me; but don't know me.


I am also learning "It's All in the Eye" by Marj O'Neill-Butler.  I suppose I am somewhat like Jacques, if I had my act together.



I really wanted to do "Brown Bag" by Jeff Locker, as well.  I think it's wonderful, but I don't have time to learn there- I don't think.  Either way, I will be doing two.  They wanted me to do three and suggested I clone myself.  What a compliment.

If only they knew.



Today, I had a great thing happen.  And my lack of appreciation and real appreciation of things kicked in.


Last night at Starbucks- spending a $1.85 for an everything bagel; extremely well toasted, with almost enough cream cheese, I got a call from a dear friend.

The story of me and gift cards; and my McDonald's obsession are at play here.... 



Last Christmas, I felt as if I was doing a few Christmas musical things- much more than usual, and probably not near the amount I will do in the future.  I assumed since I did a few things last year, this year might be full.  But no, I am studying those 2 plays- which is enough.


I mean, I know so many Christmas songs from their first notes from the radio- and remember so many Christmas lyrics, and used to do them better than anything else on the viol and etc... but this Christmas isn't what I expected a year from last year at all- in terms of performance, and in terms of Yuletide Carol and family, which hasn't kicked in yet.  Mom is doing great by the way- nearly completely detached from me.

Anyhoo

So last Christmas I blew an entrance that the choir director worked on specifically for us baritones- and I knew he was counting on me and I knew I could do it- but I only did it right in one rehearsal.  And I saw the fleeting moment when he realized that I had missed the entrance- he was looking at me- while playing piano- to give me the cue.  And although I remember it a year later- I saw how he moved on in his head to the next measure and went on to the next note and the next.

A lesson for me.


So, I got a $5 gift card to Starbuck's- didn't think I was getting anything.  And then realized that it was a $25 dollar gift card to Starbuck's- about the time I found a $45 dollar gift card to Walmart, because I saw it in the parking lot when I was going there to spend three $10 gift cards. 

Then of course I have a twenty to that Corner Porch restaurant I went to with was it Lesley, Madeleine, Meghan and...  wow, wish I had a picture.



So, with my McDonald's obsesssion- yes.,  obssesssssion- I want to go there nearly every day because it is clean- not too clean- compared to my hoarder's place in Oh Lando and Pine Point additional hoard.  So, obviously, that's what I am working on.  One or two hospitable places not full and comfortable.  And what most people would have done in a month... I haven't.

But I kind of live proud that I am not like most people.

I am a people though.  Figured that out.




So last night at Starbuck's my friend just like me- 2 condos, three houses, car full- called me and wanted me to give blood knowing god damn well I faint whenever I hear or think the word vein.

A good exercise for me would be to watch veins on tiny screens- phone, then laptop, then in real life- but I seriously am getting light headed just typing...

Anyway, we're going to Bel and Grande's or Bel and Deal's or something for free.  We just have to hear about cremation.  Now, since I like my food golden brown to burnt- why not think of burning flesh while trying a new restaurant?

Another restaurant my people have gone to but I haven't, is Old Key Lime House.  I went Sunday, and I didn't realize it was so big.  I thought it was just the front building; didn't know it extended back to the boat docks and intracoastal.  Perfect fish and chips- not particularly English as the ones at Epcot which are also perfect...  excellent key lime pie.  Free meal for taking someone for a colonoscopy.  This person insists on paying gas money and/or providing food when you do them a favor.



So the Mayan McDonald's was closed for a little bit...  This is across the canal, katty corner to Darbster.... at first the drive thru was open, then none of it.  I was surprised because hot mess Lantana ghetto 6 Motel Dollar General I 95 McD's finally closed, PLUS Jog Rd near Boynton Beach Blvd.  How weird that three would be closed, but of course ghettooo hot mess McDs remains closed.  It needed a lot of work.  They're the ones with leaks in the ceiling; bathroom, behind the scenes I am told in the storage and kitchen, then over and around the main light fixture above the counter- you know, dripping on the counter just enough to make one think they might have imagined it but then months later obviously a problem extending to left out yellow mop buckets and then over the drink station... that was a little disconcerting, thinking of water dripping from the ceiling into the drink station cups...

So the Maya McDonald's today... is no longer Mayan.  No sepia pics of zapatas, nor masks of suns, nor other artifacts left... just a subdued wood tone- comfortable collection of browns and tans.  I will have to look again.  I can't remember but there must have been some colors.  Nice four top high seats- I shared mine with a Guatemalan family of three.  And talked to another family- a huge woman and her normal sized companions.  It was crowded and friendly in there today because of the reopening.

So, anyway, my friend told me to get to McD at 10:30 or did he say 10:00?  I don't remember because I don't want to do anything anyone else suggests.... I planned to get there in time for a steak egg and cheese biscuit or steak egg and cheese McMuffin.  Why nobody in McD's has realized that grilled onions, which are standard with steak- should be offered on everything since grilled onions are the best thing in the world....

But I was horrified to find myself at home and it was approaching 10:15.  It's all a blur now, but I was not wanting to miss it... First 50 people to buy something after 11:00 get a free weekly meal FOR A YEAR.  I am now one of these people.


It was kind of sad; the McD people trying to get us to be festive in line.  But you know, I really was happy to be there, about 15th in place- well within the 50, so I knew I had gotten the wonderful prize...   They had a big yellow scissors, and took our picture, and took some video... but it just was an image that wouldn't translate into jubilation- or even worth posting.  I took 2 pics of 10 people or so in a line- you know, a part of a straggly line- only showing some of its occupants- and I don't even think it worthy of posting.  The front of some scowling senior, the back of four nondescripts, a person or two with a smile... can't even tell, next to the tan wall, that it's McDs.  They did a good job with what they had... white and red balloons everywhere, round long bags or satchels looking decorated like loooong Big Macs- first stripe a bun, etc.... I wanted one, although I want nothing in terms of possessions, yet keep collecting playbills... Ah... when will I no longer be a person with stuff?  When I am a spirit??? And nothing I touch stays in my hands?



So I was surprised how good it felt to get such a useful prize, and how good a hot Quarter Pounder with Cheese tasted.

You could see some of the employees and some of the regular customers- particularly one friendly lady who talked to me for awhile and said she eats there every day for breakfast... for the last 30 years.... see each other since it had been awhile, and be a part of something festive together; hugs and smiles.   

No comments:

Post a Comment