Tuesday, December 3, 2019

So

I want to write about stupid people but I have to be vague because this is going out to my zero followers on Blogger.com.

I have worked at three campuses.

The first one- I had a lovely quick interview with someone who seemed to be filling in for someone else.  She basically assumed I would be a substitute at that school and just wanted to meet me.

So far, so good.


Then, somebody else at the front desk needed to give me some paperwork.  They didn't know what to do and asked someone else, and then I think they asked the person I had interviewed with and then at some point somebody gave me some paperwork and told me where to take it.


I sat in a waiting area for hours while the workers admitted their friends in front of the waiting people.  Then in the fingerprinting office, they really get a kick out of not telling people to sit down until we come up to the counter and then they act like we should know that we should have not come up to the counter and we should have sat down.  I think this happens to everybody who enters and the staff, some of who helps people and some who sit there doing other things- actually like to be annoyed/powerful because we don't know their arrival procedure.

Also, they told somebody not to use a cell phone.  I thought that meant don't talk on the phone.  But no, they were very happy to tell me to put mine away when I was doing other things.  Like, really happy to act mad.


So the first school- after I went to three offices at the School Board and back to the school, and emailed my transcripts- called me in a month and said they didn't have the transcripts.  So, like I did the first time they asked, I emailed it right away.  Never heard from them again.

Oh wait, I called their once and the person who was hard to understand said my contact didn't have a voicemail.  


At the two schools I have substituted at,some people really seem to know what they are doing and the rest don't seem to know where they are.  The ones who know what to do, and the ones who don't know what to do- like to tell me that other people should have done things.

So the app to clock in and out was not mentioned, the paperwork for hiring wasn't completed and there is no internet to get the app?  No internet at a school?  Okay.

Yesterday, many kids told me that their teacher can't teach and several said they wanted me to be their teacher and lots of them were mad when I said I was only going to be there one day.  I thought they were just being dumb "Are you our teacher today?"  Which isn't really dumb.  What I mean is, I thought they were just asking a question that they didn't need to.  But what they were actually doing was trying to hold on to some hope that they never have to see their regular teacher again.


The high schoolers were better in their response to me than the elementary kids.  All the kids have a problem not realizing when they are talking, and telling me- key word TELLING me, that they aren't talking.  "I am not talking.  He is talking."  But this happens much less at the high school.


All the kids were friendly and wanted respect or attention from an adult.  The high schoolers say hello and thank you like well behaved salesmen.  Then of course, they go back to acting like kids.  But the social interaction of please and thank you at the high school, and the genuine "we like you" feeling from almost all the kids is nice.


There is generally a kid who wants to talk and comes up to me and talks about just anything.  But most kids just want to look like they don't want positive attention.


Unrelatedly, I notice lately that I can't tell where sounds are coming from.  I think my phone is buzzing when it's somebody else's on the other side- I heard a loud bump in the classroom yesterday and it sounded to me like it was from the ceiling.  I had never been there before- thought maybe they had a second story- but the kids said it was from next door.



1 comment:

  1. Before I forget.

    At the younger school, someone, maybe a middle schooler said my hair cut was fresh.

    My hair is in the middle stage of not been cut in awhile, but not time to shave my beard yet so it is far from fresh. There was no irony in her voice. Now, maybe she is good at keeping irony out of her voice, but I think that was her opinion.

    Somebody else said "I like your hair." Now, typing these they just seem like barbs but this one just seemed like she wanted to say something nice and that's all she could think of. It is very possible that I read their emotions incorrectly, but kids and sarcasm and meanness is not something easily confused with compliments- unless of course I am wrong and then how would I know?

    Yesterday, I heard from across the room "He looks like a Carl." I decided not to notice and thought he was referring to a meme- there is a llama one but I think there are more.

    But later, the kids who had heard him asked me my name and looked at my name tag. Now it is very possible that someone had seen my name tag without me noticing. But it was right on my shirt and I really did think that all day no one looked at it- but of course maybe they did. But this kid hadn't looked at it. So maybe somebody told him. And they could have found out another way too. But although I did not ask, it really seemed like he had an idea of what a Carl looked like, and was not surprised or particularly proud of himself that he could identify one.

    ReplyDelete