Monday, November 2, 2015

A Woman Who Changed the World

I was reading through a book that went through all of history and all around the world and listed the women who have changed it.  The usual suspects were there.  I saw Cleopatra and Queen Elizabeth I.  And there was a decided effort to add people who weren't Western.  One woman was in the book because she designed one building and then couldn't make it as an architect.

There are world-changers and then there are the rest of us.

Please, authors, just because you have a point of view, don't look back into history and find some obscure detail and pretend like it is important.  


The one film actor chosen was Greta Garbo.  The one pop singer was Bessie Smith.  I'm not sure who I would have chosen if I was writing this book.  As far as First Ladies go, there were two.  Jackie Kennedy and Eleanor Roosevelt were in the book; but after thinking about it, I think maybe Betty Ford changed the world more.  Many successful women have helped the cause of women or inspired others, but until Betty Ford, no one talked about addiction and now nobody can shut up about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment