Monday, November 23, 2015

Have You Ever...

....wanted to do something that you didn't want to do?

There is some tiny task that I do on my computer every couple days that I really don't want to do.  Yet, I'm disappointed on the days when I don't need to do it.


This is amazing to me.

Why am I ever disappointed about not having to do something that I don't want to do anyway?  The bogglings of the human mind mystify.


Somewhere once a year or so ago, I decided to have my computer automatically back up more often.  It seemed like a good idea.  The same idea is one reason why I have this blog: so if my computer wipes out I have a record of some of the things I was up to at this time- even years later, because it's saved kindly somewhere else with Google's Blogger.

I didn't notice it until several months after I set up the frequent auto-backups.  But now the drive fills up and I need to empty it or my computer gets slow, and then will have some warnings- and who knows what might happen after that- I haven't gotten that far.

The inconvenience is so minor that I haven't researched how to turn the automatic backup back to a more infrequent occurrence, yet I really don't want to have to do it, but when I go to check to see if it needs to be emptied, I feel like I've wasted my time if it doesn't.

I wonder how many tasks there are that we do because we think we should or we have to, that we really don't have to do but that we receive some sort of satisfaction from?  There are probably a lot.  People retire gladfully but then won't admit that they miss working.  People wish for Friday when it would be better to enjoy Monday and Tuesday when they roll around.  There is a satisfaction in doing something; anything, I suppose.

It reminds me of a quote by Elizabeth Taylor.

We need to do something, sometimes.  I don't drink or wear lipstick but there is a mindset of initiative and responsibility that I get an inkling of when I do some little thing that needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment