Friday, November 6, 2015

Lawless (2012)

I'll resist the urge to call it Flawless, but I loved it.

What's up with the hair?  These guys have some serious haircuts, dude.  I don't know or care about accuracy- because they all have a great look.




I couldn't find pictures that show just how much contrast there is between the sections of their hair that are short and the sections that are long.  It gets to the point of ridiculousness when you see them from the back. They've taken the "put a bowl on your head and trim around it" idea to a new level.

The ladies on the other hand, don't spend nearly as much time on their hair.

The guys seem to have had an electric razor available after every take.  If only I still had a discernible hairline up front I could try something similar.  Is this remotely like hair was in the 1930s?  I think a lot of license was taken with the short in the back and on the sides look.




Since Thomas Hardy is one of my favorite authors, I'm not about to say that Tom Hardy is one of my favorite actors.  I'm just figuring out who he is.  But I'll say this.  Gary Oldman is one of my favorite actors and Tom Hardy did just as well in this film.  All the acting was great, in my opinion.


As long as we're talking about guys' hair, including Guy's hair, I'll mention Nick Cave.


The music was great.  The story was also.  I loved instantly recognizing Emmylou Harris and Willie Nelson, thinking they weren't from that part of the country, and dismissing the thoughts as soon as they materialized because their voices were perfect choices.  When I heard Ralph Stanley, I knew we had a winner here.  The music carried the movie along, heightened the humor- and even created it; distilled the plot into legend and brought the tone to a true level.  I don't mean a realistic tone; but a true and artistic one.  The scenery was great too- even the kudzu which is too interesting to edit out of a movie, I suppose.  Like moss in the trees- it looks great and the only people who know it shouldn't be there won't care.

With one viewing, I didn't find an acting misstep.  I think it's extremely rare for me to feel that way, and it's not just because I like all these actors.  This movie has brought several of them to my attention.

I noticed an attempt to have the characters speak hillbilly, and not a more generic Southern accent or a country one.  It worked for me, but I know there are actors from all over who were attempting this.  They didn't fool me, but I'll go with it.  The film was shot in Georgia, and it shows- not that that's a bad thing.  But the accent wasn't Georgian.

Interesting to me, the music was spot on, just like in American Hustle- which didn't even play The Hustle, I don't think.  That film used songs I knew to bring me back to a world I remember, while this one brought me to one I had never seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment