Sunday, November 22, 2015

Civilizations In Ruins





I like the title of the post, but realize that those who don't know about apostrophes; say, those below the age of 28, might think it means "Civilization's in ruins," which is not really what I'm talking about.  I think we are on the downward end of our civilization, yet it's not the end of the world.  Another one or two have already started to form and will rise to pre-eminence with or without me.

As the Christian age comes to a close, I reflect that the problem is that many people are and were confused that an age could be Christian.  The term is as good as any, but people can become Christians and an age never will.

What I'm reflecting on today are the ruins of civilizations long past, that took place in places that are now forests.  Huge monuments in the forests draw my attention almost as much as the pyramids in the desert.  To me, The Jungle Book reflects this idea the best.  There was obviously some huge human accomplishment, but it's been re-conquered by nature.


Here we find the ruins of immense and magnificently decorated public buildings which now stand, far away from any present human habitations, in the depth of the tropical forest.  The forest, like some sylvan boa-constrictor, has literally swallowed them up and is now devouring them at its leisure, prising the fine-hewn close-laid stones apart with its writhing roots and tendrils.

On page 80 in Toynbee/Somervell's A Study Of History, I found this great quote.  It's about the Mayans, but I picture the same process in Southeast Asia, and as having done such a great work that underneath every tropical forest there might be the same things- hidden cities of stone wrecked by the weight of thousands of years of plants.  What's underneath the redwoods, the Amazon, the Congo, etc?




No comments:

Post a Comment