Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Cindy Morgan - A Reason To Live

I'm thinking about the name Cindy lately.  We decided it doesn't have the pitiful "Oh, poor (insert name here)" ring to it, which is helped by a nasal vowel, that will be hard to understand without an audio clip. 

Let me see if I can put into written form what I'm talking about.  "Oh, poor Patty" or "Poor Cathy" or "Oh there goes poor Sally..... you know she's back in town after that awful accident..."  "She's always been such a nice lady, but...."  There's something about using that vowel in a certain way that brings out the victim mentality to the fore.  But that's not there with Cindy, or Cynthia or the alternate pronunciation Cynsha either.

I've been thinking about recording entire albums as remakes.  A remake of a song is something that's gone out of fashion and there must be a money reason for that, but I can't figure out why.  But certain albums could be redone in their entirety, I think. 

Cindy Morgan
A Reason To Live

Funny, but the title track came to mind first in customizing the lyrics.  Yesterday I was changing the pronouns- She always wanted to be a dancer- to He always wanted... and I realized that I did want to be a dancer long ago.  I had completely forgotten that.  But watching one of those 70s shows on television, I would dance around the living room.  There were more dancing and variety shows with dancing, and it was pretty common to see a line or two of flashy dancers.  I remember enjoying the disco style- which was probably before that word meant anything to me- but is how I look back at it (strings, drums, melody emphasis..) and it didn't occur to me that parroting back what I saw couldn't be a career option.

Dad sad "I don't think men dance like that" and then there they were, a line of men dancers joined the women.  Clearly he was wrong, right?  It felt good for him to be wrong.  Not only was I too old to climb up on his lap but I wasn't going to be encouraged to dance, either.  But at least he was wrong.  I'm trying to think of an authority figure I haven't wanted to be wrong.  When I'm told to do something I automatically say no, without a reason.  It might be a quiet undetectable no, but that's what I do.  I remember someone told me I was unteachable once.  Really, just once?  Yep.  Maybe twice.  How can something be so obvious but only vocalized twice in 48 years?

For me it comes down to my neighbors who lived in their own stink.  They were smokers, so they couldn't smell the smoke.


No comments:

Post a Comment