Thursday, December 14, 2017

TV and Movies

I'm watching the first season of Lost again.  I think I've seen them all except for the last one; so this will be a nice review and then a happy ending.

This time, I'm struck by the good camera angles, the close-ups and the emotional "bams" that hit me regularly.  It's a good show.

But you know what I didn't notice the first time? 

It's not bad makeup.  The bright red stripes on the cheeks of various characters symbolize various permutations of the I Ching.


See, right here according to ChinaFile.com you'll find a little diagram.  Those bright red makeup pencil lines on the main characters' cheeks occasionally must be completely on purpose.



I've also watched The World, The Flesh and The Devil.  That was cool.  It was a post-apocalyptic drama that featured no bodies.  Now that's my kind of post-apocalyptic drama.  It was cool seeing Harry Belafonte toss around those styrofoam boulders too.   But I really did like it.  I don't care about props much at all.  If the acting is good; and it was, I like it.






To me the acting is everything.  I don't care about the sets much either- but a little.





It took me a couple decades to notice the flats behind Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz.  That acting which only in retrospect seems perfect for that world, holds my attention completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment