Thursday, June 18, 2015

IKEA short story.

Today I went to breakfast at IKEA, and thought again to write a short story about it.

I'm in the process of deciding what to name it.  I don't want to put the name of the store in the story, but refer to it constantly through phrases where the first letter of each word spells the name and in which words that sound like it are used throughout.

Example: I keep everything always...
I like the awkwardness of this phrase and I want the entire story to seem a little quirky and then when the reader realizes the many allusions to the name IKEA they'll hopefully have a different opinion.

I believe I'll feature a before and after; parking in 4B at first and then after an epiphany or change of some sort, having the protagonist park in 2B.



The best part about the store is the smell of cinnamon, and it's free.  I saved up a buck to buy a roll one time and it wasn't even good so I went back to just smelling them.

1 comment:

  1. The word IKEA sounds like I keep a and looks like idea. One idea for a context for this story is in a collection of stories in which the same thing happens but interpreted in two different ways. A preacher sees a rich man put a dollar in the offering plate and thinks he's making a big to-do of it, but in reality the rich man is just keeping enough cash on him to be able to give a twenty dollar bill to a particular homeless person on his way home, and donates money all the time.

    ReplyDelete