Tuesday, June 30, 2015

What's the Problem?

As Martin Luther said, it doesn't matter which side of the horse you fall off of, the effect is the same.

Too much sin?  Can't do anything right?
        Haven't sinned much?  No real problems?


We've got a problem and there's one solution.  But there's no need to wallow in it, compare it to others or dismiss it away.


Today Mr. McGee said one of my favorite sayings, speaking about church people.  He said a person could be as "busy as a termite and having the same effect."  I really hate busyness.  Only recently have I realized how much I hate it.  I've been sitting around not doing much, which I don't like either, but that has gotten me to a place where I abhor, or can now see how much I hate, busy frantic nothingness.

I can go from inaction to doing half of everything instantly.  And neither one is peaceful or intentional (enough) or effective, or helpful to me or the people around me.  Today I want to stay in that place of peace, where I'm working, but not reacting.

J. Vernon also laid out another huge problem in a homely example.  He said that jealousy is hurting us more than anything else, and that it is a secret sin.  I think it's so secret that people do it all the time and don't even consider it a problem.  It's not even one of those sins people keep a secret, but rather practice it all the time without thinking, and let it eat away at our selves and our relationships, our society and our world but we don't recognize it as being wrong.

Why do we compare, and judge?  Why does an image of an ugly guy make me happy and an image of a tall guy make me feel short?  This constant comparison is not helpful at all, and it's not new.  The first man born on earth killed his brother for this very reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment