Sunday, December 16, 2018

Joan Rivers

 In high school, I thought The Tonight Show was incredibly boring.

And in an interview, I'm Amazed that Joan Rivers had to audition times to get there.

Being involved in shows, It seems to me like that one was just thrown together. But, they obviously wanted it to be like that.

Did they want to put people into a certain state before they went to sleep?

I know it has a certain charm. But, it's just not good.

It also struck me today, that Johnny chose a woman for guest host, and Diana Ross did it too, because he didn't want to groom a successor. I think you did everything the way he wanted to do it. And that included looking like he knew what he was doing, in a mediocre show.

I'm sure nobody on the show considered it mediocre. But, what I mean, is that it's very low art. They laugh, breaking character, on purpose. It's so scripted. And if you don't already know the guests, there isn't much incentive to look them up.

Obviously tastes have changed over the decades, but some things from those times I absolutely adore.

I think TV was really making different shows for different times of day. And not just trying to make the best show.
















No comments:

Post a Comment