Thursday, January 8, 2015

Sonday and Oneday

It just doesn't make sense to me to name one day, recurring every seven, after something I see every day.  So instead, I'll call it Sonday and think of something that is there day and night, every day, behind the scenes or in my face, hot as hell or hidden behind a cloud or waiting behind the cloak of night rather than blinding me with its brilliance, holding it all together.  

Found on areyoumarriedriver.tumblr.com:
 

Moonday is more problematic.  It's namesake is there all the time too, but if it wasn't there would my world fall apart?  I don't think so.  Would I even miss this capricious cyclical reflector of the sun in its absence, or should I use this name to remind myself once a week of the lunar, lunacy cycle of lunatics that I can be a part of or that I can try to transcend, maintaining a steady sanity despite the call upon my mind that comes and goes like the tides, ebbing and flowing daily, or the moon that controls them, waxing and waning monthly, or the seasons that roll around in bigger circles?

Nah, I'll take the Moonday to its present name of Monday, but just take off that first letter and call it Oneday to preserve the pronunciation and make the point that although Sonday is the first day of the week, Oneday is the one that starts the work week and for those who want to sit around and dream; those that don't have a Sonday but instead have a Someday, the day after that doesn't have to be about work at all, but an acknowledgement that although today is a real day, right here, one day it will be something else and we can remind ourselves of that every seven days as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment