Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Wodinsday

It's Wednesday, and I like what the Germans did, calling it Midweek.  You see, that name, if we used it in English, would make sense to me because it would be a perfectly appropriate name for the day that is in the middle of the week.

This is simple and I like it.

Midweek makes sense to me.  But what's a Wednes?

If we're only going to have seven days and they are going to repeat themselves, and roll up into months and years, let's make it simple so we can think about more complex things with the rest of our brains than how to spell the name of the day we're in.

We've got the same idea with the term Humpday.

I could go with that one too, I think.

Wodin, the deity at the source of Wednesday, is a less known moniker of Odin.  And Odin hasn't exactly stayed in the center of our culture.  And how is this spelling that isn't much like Wodinsday helpful or useful in any way?  Even when I squint, and write it with my left hand, Wednesday just doesn't look too much like the name from which it came.  And we don't say it like Wed nes day either, so there we go.  It's a hot mess.  Wed nes day?  Really?  We all say Whensday already anyway.

Wednesday, which I will call Whensday; I like ya but you confuse me.

No comments:

Post a Comment