Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Time

Circling back in time to one of the subjects, the subject?  That I started talking about when I started this blog;

We get to time.

I remember a painful conversation when I and a few family members just couldn't connect.  They hadn't brought it up and they weren't thinking about it, but it pained me that they couldn't understand any rationale for a seven day week, but it didn't seem curious to them at all.

Gentle Reader, let me explain.
There is something 3 o'clock AM which is like every 3 AM, but there isn't anything Sundayish about Sunday except it's placement between Saturday and Monday which are just one way of dividing a month.  In other words, instead of telling me there are four weeks in a month, what's the reason there are four.  A day and a month make sense.  And so does a year, but the rest are constructs.  We could have three "weeks" of ten and yes, that would be different, but it wouldn't be less real.

Anyway, that's just one example of the times I tried to talk and people just look at me, give me an arbitrary fact, not a real fact, and think that's enough.

Yes, I know there are 60 minutes in an hour, but is there anything about that number that would keep us from using 50 or 40 or 25?  Well, no- not in my way of thinking.  So, if you can't join the conversation, why are you talking?

Okay.  Here.  It's like when you type in to Google- why do robins sing and instead of a reason, you get a Yahoo message board with a few responses like this:

I like when robins sing.
Robins sing in Spring.
I was wondering, does anybody know when robins sing.
Robins like most birds, often sing.
Hey, can anybody say why robins are good singers?

Hello.
Stick to one subject at a time,and use that subject to try and find a reason.  So often, people get off track and I can see that so easily.  There's got to be a way for me to use this gift, because it's not clear to them, and it's painful and obvious to me,

Here are some notes from what this little video had to say.

 Babylon took from Sumer the 4000 year old system we now use for time, which is also used for angles, division of circle, then Greeks used it, and I guess all three divided the day into 360 parts.  But we don't take it that far.  


     That makes me think how my life would be different if I thought of a day as a 36 "minute" block which came around 10 times.

Egyptians divided days into 24 hours.



           So, I ask- what relationship is there between 24 and the 36/60/360 system already in place?  Is this why we feel like although we're circling here, it's a little wobbly?
 

7 day week from Babylon? This is so unknown to anybody, they just talk and talk, and repeat each other.  I've got to get to what they did in the East.  That will fill in some gaps.  There's got to be a Chinese and an Indian system, and maybe a Persian system before Alex.


Sat Latin
Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday Norse (in English, Friday Anglo Saxon)

Months Latin - 1st six for gods.

Feb a festival, March beginning of year, but then why Janus looking back and forward?  Even here, there's a problem.  No matter how often it's repeated.

Friday and April have a Venus, Aphrodite Freya connenection


Maya Italian goddess

Quintillus became July and many followed, naming months for themselves, but only August also stuck.


1582 Gregorian calendar brought New Years back to Jan in many cultures. 
1752 England and Am got there.  Or, is it- here?

No comments:

Post a Comment